Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Artist's Statement

I really hate writing my own Artist's Statements for exhibits. It's not that I have difficulty writing. As an English instructor, I've written many such statements, not to mention cover letters, letters of recomendation, etc for colleagues and various other professionals. The problem is that when it comes to my own work, what I really want to say is:  "I like to draw cats." 
The truth is, I love animals. I especially love cats and their graceful, spineless poses. I like drawing pictures of my cats because it makes me happy. I like doing animal portraits because it makes the owners happy. It's hard to translate that sort of simple joy into a statement that sounds intellectual and academic. One of these days, I will write a statement for an exhibit that is totally honest and complete. My little 8 by 10 frame will contain a piece of paper that says in big, bold letters: I LIKE TO DRAW CATS.

1 comment: