Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Importance of Being Honest

One thing that makes me cringe is when someone asks an artist, "How long have you been an artist?" and the artist replies with a cliche along the lines of, "I have always been an artist." I have news for this artist: we all paint or draw as children, that doesn't make us all artists. Making art requires both technical skill and aesthetic intent. Like music and literature, art is a tool that humans use to attempt to understand themselves, their place in society, and their place in the grand scheme of things. It is not until we reach that point in our lives when we realize that we are in fact searching for deeper meaning and understanding in our lives through our creative pursuits that we can say we have truly become artists.

I still don't generally refer to myself as an artist. I often laughingly tell people, "I'm not an artist, I just like to draw pictures of cats." (although my cat drawings are often highly expressive of what is happening in my life at the time) My work is an act of evolution that began with a mindful decision. It continues through a process of education and experimentation.
How long have I been an artist? I'll let you know when I get there.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know I do the same thing? "I'm not a writer, I just blog and work on projects." I'm enjoying your more frequent posts, Glenda! Great photo of your oversees friends in creative mode. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete