Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Sage Kitty finds a home



There are some images that I come back to over and over. This drawing of Bonnie sleeping in my laundry is one of them. I've flipped it around, put it on different backgrounds, etc, and I always love it. It is a classic cat pose. I put this one on gray-green background and called it "The Sage Kitty Takes a Nap."  I love when I can work a pun into the title. Last week, the Sage Kitty went to Houston to live with my next door neighbor's daughter who is a flight attendant, cat mom, and rescuer of strays of all kinds. Sometimes it makes me kind of sad to see my drawings go, and this was one of those times. On the other hand, it makes me happy when someone loves a piece so much that they want it for their home. Making art is an emotional investment. Maybe that is why I give most of the money I make from my drawings to animal shelters. It motivates me to let them go!

As an addendum: this is not the exact photo that I used for the drawing. That particular photo features laundry items "of a sensitive nature." I should also note that much like my two Burch style paintings, the first Sage Kitty was a practice drawing with heavy stylisitic influence by another artist (maybe Da Vinci--I don't remember exactly thanks to the holes Lyme's bacteria has punched in my memory) and was never intended for sale. However, the Fates apparently did intend for it to be traded away in return for a shelter donation.
Ahhhhh....warm laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment