Sunday, July 15, 2012

Valhalla I am coming!

And then we moved to the land of ice and snow--otherwise known as the Upper Peninsula of Wisconsin. Moving home after living overseas for four years is a brutal awakening. Moving to rural Wisconsin after living in the bustle of Geoge-Do was a lot like hitting a brick wall at 80 mph. To soften the impact, I decided to do something that I had always wanted to do:  adopt a kitten. Before, I had always adopted strays or adult cats because I felt they had the greatest need, but kitten-sittin' for my friend Ellen in Korea had increased my desire to experience the sweetness and cuteness of kitten parenting for myself.  I knew I would have to narrow the field or I would come home with more kittens that my husband could survive, so I went to the Menominee Animal Shelter and told them that I wanted a gray kitten. It was one of those random choices that makes a person believe in fate. Their were only 3 gray kittens. One of them was a "special needs" creature. She had been brought in by a good Samaritan who had found her on the road side, having either been hit by a car or thrown from one. Her little face was battered and she required daily meds to help her recover from her wounds and the resulting surgery. Her name was Sarah, and she was the most precious thing I had ever seen. John and I picked her up that evening, and he immediately nicknamed her Scar-face. It turns out that adopting Sarah was about the smartest move I could have made at that time. Nothing takes you out of yourself and forces you to focus on things other than your own woes than having to care for another living creature. She is not the most clever of my three, but she is the absolute sweetest and goofiest. In my opinion she is the best thing to ever come out of Wisconsin--far better than cheese or the Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment