Thursday, July 19, 2012

Other People's Art

The second good thing to come out of moving to Wisconsin for me (after adopting Sarah) was meeting quilt artist Laurie Ceesay. I love meeting other artists and being inspired by their creativity. Laurie gave me this piece as a gift for my birthday, but I also own 4 other small pieces that I purchased from her, and I have given some of her work as gifts.

I have met a lot of artists who have said things like, "Why would I hang other people's work in my house?" "Why would I buy someone else's work?" or my personal favorite, "I like your work, but I could do that myself." This is not an attitude that I share. I am a proponant of art and the Humanities in general, and I believe in putting my money where my mouth is when I can afford to. Not only do I have a wonderful collection of beautiful things for my home, but I get to give really unique gifts that are much appreciated AND I have wonderful pieces that call to mind the friends who made them and the good times we shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment